Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Put On Yo' Record: Devon Stanmore- Williams


why is music important to you? 

Music is my language! I'm not really great at expressing great emotion while speaking. And i'm a'ight with the written words... but... when i sing... that is my true heart. What i listen to? It helps me work out what i'm feeling and makes it real. Music is my friend and lets me truly express myself; good or bad.
favorite song...

This Christmas" by Donnie Hathaway. odd choice, i know. but it makes me think of family and good times and God and love and everything that gives me the 'warm fuzzies'. Plus, Donnie Hathaway was a BEAST!! 
favorite musician...

Prince. hands down...PRINCE!!!! He epitomizes music for me. from ballads to pop tunes to r&b to rock to funk and everything in between. Every song makes me feel some kind of way. I have to feel some kind of way with music or i don't register it as music. Also, I live for the era when celebrities were celebrities, you know? untouchable... a bit of mystery... I love Prince so much for his fearlessness and candor and mystery and ... just EVERYTHING!! But... I like " Thieves in the Temple" Prince best.... I don't much care for that weird, 1997 Prince.
top 5 albums  

1. Purple Rain - Prince
2. Leave It All Behind - The Foreign Exchange
3. Walk Alone - PJ Morton
4. Electric Circus - Common
5. Reflection Eternal - Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek
** but that's just this week, hahahaha
how do you keep real music alive? 
I live it! I sing it, i write it, i blast it in the summertime with my windows down and my bass up high. There isn't a thing in my life that i do that doesn't have a soundtrack. I promote local artist, independent artists, and things of that nature. Being from Dallas, I am exposed to great talent on a regular basis. N'dambi, Erykah Badu, Geno Young, Lightenin' Hopkins, Michael Taylor, Shod, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Nora Jones... WHATEVER. Its all beautiful. It makes me proud and i push it whenever i can. And of course, I read "Put Yo' Records On"!

No comments:

Post a Comment