Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Put On Yo' Record: Horace Edwards

Ace Edwards: Singer, Song Writer, Model, Actor


Why is music important to you?
Music is the soundtrack to life. It is one of the only simple pleasures left in the world. All it takes is a pair of ears and some music to escape, rejuvenate, be inspired, and evoke and endless array of emotions. Writing and listening to music has always been a form of therapy for me, allowing me to expresses myself when I’m otherwise at a loss for words. I also admire music’s ability to bring people together. In a world with so many different types of people/personalities, it’s remarkable how music creates an environment where for a moment in time we are all on one accord and experiencing that story the artist or musician has created.
Favorite Song and Why? 
My favorite song is Musiq Soulchild’s “Just Friends (Sunny)”. I remember hearing it for the first time and feeling strangely attached to the song, as if I had written it myself even though I wasn’t going through the situation he was talking about. It’s my favorite song to sing in the car, in the shower, at an open mic night, or wherever I can; and it makes me feel good every single time I hear it.
Favorite musician and why?
While most would hesitate to call her a true “musician”, I think Beyonce’s vocal ability, creative talent, and her ear for arrangement and harmonies makes her a deserving candidate for the title. In a time where few artist physically play real instruments, let’s just call her the new age musician. So often I feel like her image and the product she has created as business woman overshadows the fact that she has one of the best vocal gifts we have seen in a long time. Her tone and control is that of a classically trained singer with a southern twist, and truly one of a kind. Her live performances go without saying, and I find myself constantly reminding people that the entertainment aspect of Beyonce’s career is a big bonus, but she could entertain me thoroughly with just a stool and a microphone. 
Top 5 Albums...
I couldn’t make a list of the greatest albums of All Time without mentioning “Thriller”, “All Eyez on Me”, “The Bodyguard Soundtrack”, or “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill”….but if I were stranded on an island today, I would have to have an mp3 player pre loaded with:
1. Beyonce – B’Day (Deluxe Edition)

2. Lil Kim – La Bella Mafia
3. Fantasia – Back to Me
4. Kanye West - Graduation

5. Maroon 5 – Songs About Jane 
How do you keep real music alive?

I think the only way we can keep real music alive is the support real artist. Everything that sucks about the music industry now is our fault as consumers. You get what you pay for -- one way or another. You may think it’s cool to download illegal music, but when your favorite artist only sells 2 records in a week and gets dropped from their label, we pay the ultimate price. When I find an artist that is talented (commercial or otherwise) I make sure to go cop their album and buy a ticket to their show when they come to town. I also try to maintain a little of the classic old school vibe in my own music.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post...I totally get you lol. OMG I thought about the Bodyguard soundtrack as well but I couldn't post them all.

    Oh and when that Musiq Just Friends came out...mayne...love the intro

    And YES! Beyonce entertains like no other...big fan

    ReplyDelete