Friday, January 28, 2011

What happened to GOOD music!?



I've asked this question to many, time and time again. It breaks my heart to turn on the radio and hear Soulja Boy sing about a gucci bandana, smh... And if it's not something like that it's a sample of something from the past! It's like no one makes any new good music, they just take the old. Like Lauryn Hill stated on the Fugees album, "You can't create, you just wait to take!" C'mon people!!!! What happened to real live instrumentation???


I can appreciate artist like Jill Scott, Alicia Keys, John Legend and The Roots who create new soulful sounds and put on awesome shows. Theres a cat named Ryan Leslie who reminds me of a young Prince, playing every instrument you can think of on his album and refreshingly original. I'm grateful for these artist, but why don't we hear more of THEM on the radio? Why instead must we be reduced to the sounds of autotuned tunes with catchy hooks, but NO real sound or feel? I can recall a time when ballads were written to draw emotions out of you, making you want to fall in love, happy to be in love or hating you were ever in love. Now, I don't get that same feeling. 


My mom and I had a conversation about how a lot of music in the past didn't even rhyme...it was like the artist then, just sang whatever they felt, the way they felt...It didn't have to be to a certain beat or 8 count...they sang out! Thats what sounded good, and that's what music today is missing!! Artist are so busy trying to be like everybody else and sound like the next man because it seems popular, but really how can the new generation know what they're missing out on if they never hear anything outside of that...the new status quo? I listen to Marvin Gaye's "I Wish I Didn't Love You" and hear the real and raw emotion in his voice from a true experience. I thought to myself now that was something that happened to him in REAL life and a REAL song was created from that. Maybe that is the answer to my question. Is anyone transparent enough anymore to express their deep feelings and emotions through their music? Or is just about doing whats popular to get your records sold? I thought music was suppose to inspire...


What do you think? What happened to GOOD music?

No comments:

Post a Comment