Sunday, January 30, 2011

Put On Yo' Record: Dirrick Butler



why is music important to you?
"Music is important to me because it is a way of escape in the hustle and bustle of my day to day life. It can change my mood in a second. Music tells my story, because I listen to certain genres based on my emotions and state of mind at that moment. Music is a universal language and allows you to communicate without saying a word."
favorite song...
"That is really hard to answer but off the dome, I would have to say that my favorite song is either Deja Vu by Beyonce or Baby I'm a Star by Prince. I know you said one but it was sooooo hard to pick one, lol! Deja Vu reminds me of a Michael Jackson song and its just a happy, feel good song. I actually filmed my first music video project to this song in High School. Baby I'm a Star is just a great song all together, I love it. Every time I hear it I think of the finale scene of Purple Rain, when Prince is performing it. By the way I cant find my Purple Rain movie, I'm pretty upset about that."
favorite musician...
"Its funny you say musician and not performer or artists, it makes it a little more difficult, but I would have to say that Prince is my favorite musician. He is a freaking musical genius. On his first album he recorded all 28 instruments by himself, what kind of person does that. He is a modern day Mozart. From his musicianship to his performances he is the real deal. Plus he is short like me, I can relate to him, lol!!"
top 5 albums (if stranded on an island)...
"If I were stranded on an island I would have to have with me a good mixture. definitely the Purple Rain Soundtrack by Prince or the Greatest Hits by Prince, either or, anything Erykah Badu, Wake Up by John Legend & The Roots, Last Train to Paris by Diddy-Dirty Money, my new favorite, and finally I gotta have a little Bey so I would have to say I am...Sasha Fierce. You know what I would just bring my iPod (Lil D, thats his name, lol!) so I could have a bigger selection."
how do you keep REAL music alive?
"I keep it alive by listening and exposing myself to all kinds of music. I love music! I'll be jamming to music in my room and my roommates will be like "Dirrick what are you listening to!?" and I'll tell them about this new Neo-Soul artist or Jazz, Rock or country artist and I'll put them on and they end up loving it. So I keep it alive by sharing it as well. I'm kind of an old soul so a lot of music I listen to is old school R&B, Hip-Hop (real Hip-Hop) Funk, and Pop all that, so I know it all."

No comments:

Post a Comment