Thursday, June 23, 2011

Proud 2 Be A Jiggaboo!


It's been 5 months since I began my natural journey and what a journey it has been. It's had its ups and had it downs. The only downs I've faced is the opinions of others whom opinions I tend to value. Not everyone appreciated the fact that I cut my hair and was no longer getting a relaxer put on my head...and had no problems telling me how much prettier I was with long relaxed hair. What I had to keep telling and reminding myself was that I am beautiful this way as well...in fact even more beautiful because I've finally embraced the way God intended for my hair to grow out of my head...what can be more BEAUTIFUL than that? Who's to say that long blonde hair is pretty and short nappy hair is ugly? I mean really, who said that? It's funny, women of color have the most unique textures of hair in all the world, yet we hide it because of what society says is beautiful...but on the other hand there are women of other races trying to make their hair like ours, their skins like ours and even their facial features like OURS. My question is, why can't we embrace the beautiful and unique style we were born with? Why was it so hard for me to start my natural journey....was I ashamed? Was I worried of what people might say? Absolutely! But since I've taken that big step of loving myself for who I really am and being happy with who God created, I can truly say I am proud to be a jiggaboo! No one can define my beauty but God! To those who are on the same journey as I, I'm inspired by you and so proud to see us taking back our unique style. To those who love your relaxers, wigs and weaves, more power to you...nothing wrong with that either, this is not intended to bash you, just as long as you are loving yourself. Just wanted to write a little something to share my thoughts, God Bless!

 Enjoy one of my favorite scenes from the movie School Daze below:

No comments:

Post a Comment